Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  SOOO where do I start?!

SOOO where do I start?!

Just graduated college...Want to be a firefighter more than anything. Where do I begin? Can anyone direct me to any resources that would guide me through the entire process from beginning (certifications, requirements, classes, etc.) to end (getting the job and wearing the uniform)?

use the search young jedi.

I am in the same boat as you and I have made google my best friend. Would definitely be a good thing to get your EMT...in my experience there are more departments than not that require this as a minimum.

Start out by clicking over into the "Open Forum" section and perusing the board there. Lots of threads out there on the where-to-start issue.

Good luck,
bam

Paul Lepore has 2 really good books to start out: Aspiring FF's 2 Year Plan, and How to Smoke Your FF Interview. You can get them on this site or Paul's website

Read the boards here, and over on firehouse.com. Come up with a timeline and a plan, and start moving on it.

-Mike
This message was edited by Perfectfire on 12-12-07 @ 8:34 AM

Captain Bob has a great book Called "becoming a firefighter". It's on his web site:

www.eatstress.com

It's a fun read

Dr. Jen Milus, DC
www.fireagility.com
This message was edited by DrJen on 4-2-08 @ 7:47 AM

Hey krikor enable your PM

Go down to your local fire station and chit-chat with real humans.......pick up some first hand info.....go from there!