Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  38 yrs old & want a career in firefighting!HELP

38 yrs old & want a career in firefighting!HELP

I live in North County San Diego and could use any information as to how to become a fire fighter.
I know Palomar and Mira Mar College both offer fire courses, but could some one please tell me which college offers the best education and also what classes I would need to qualify for the fire Academy. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thank you

Frank Harrison

Welcome to the forum!

The education received in Community College Fire Classes is going to be roughly comparable anywhere you go. As for which classes will qualify you to enroll in the fire academy, you'd actually be better off to contact those two colleges and ask them directly.

Also, just for future reference, you'll get FAR more responses on this forum if you post in the OPEN FORUM section than in here.

Good Luck!

Frank,
Welcome to the site. I recognize the name. Any relation to Joe and Mike?
Your number one objective is to get through a basic fire academy. The prerequisites for each are EMT and fire science courses. Enroll in EMT first as it will be the hardest class to get. Next enroll in Introduction to Fire Science and another one or two fire tech classes.
Palomar and Miramar both have State Certified fire academys. Check with the Fire Technology departments and find out what the prerequisites are.

Lastly, asctivate your PM
Paul Lepore
Battalion Chief
www.aspiringfirefighters.com
This message was edited by Paul on 12-29-07 @ 8:45 PM

Thank you Chief Lepore for the advice; it is greatly appreciated! Yes, Mike and Joe are my cousins and both have been a great inspiration to this process, I am very lucky for such a good family. Thank you again for taking the time to respond.

Frank Harrison

I love my Chargers too! Welcome to the site.
Have a nice day,
AZFF