Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Ask Firecareers!  /  emt

emt

does any body know if depts have there own emt training, and is paramedic school hard

DJuan:

EMT classes and refresher class offerings are considerably different from department to department.

Larger fire departments usually will have an EMT training program as part of their recruit fire academy. As a firefighter applicant, it is in your best interest to have your EMT cert beforehand. This way, EMT will be one less subject you will have to worry about in the academy.

Mandatory refresher EMT class/course attendance can be required by larger departments while the smaller departments may or may not offer them. In which case you would have to find your own refresher class.
Continuing Education (CE) points will help you in meeting EMT recert requirements. CE points can be completed by attending various classes/training or by completing such courses online. Check with the fire department training department and/or your local EMS agency.

I do not believe that anyone will tell you that paramedic school is easy. It is hard even if you are a 4.0 GPA student who graduated with honors.

I graduated with a 3.9 and medic school was one of the hardest things I have ever done. But just because something is hard doesn't mean you should not attempt it. Remember that the best EMT's make the best medics. Line yourself out for success by becoming a "best" EMT.

Best wishes.
This message was edited by tomdeltazulu on 10-27-08 @ 9:45 PM

I dont know where you're located but CIEMT.com is a good program. Very high passing rate.

DJuan

I echo what bluprint said...Dont know where you are, but if your anywhere near north long beach...CIEMT is the way to go!!!!
Experience is something you usually acquire just after you need it!