Community Forum

Forum Home  /  Physical Training  /  Calf Pain

Calf Pain

I continually seem to strain my calf muscles; this time, it's on the left "outside" portion of the calf. I run quite a bit and use weights. I know it's probably the repetitive motion, but any ideas on remedies or prevention? I have been trying a magnetic support from Bioflex and it seems to help a bit, but I'm trying to stay away from medication as much as possible. Thanks.
This message was edited by robhil88 on 11-23-05 @ 2:59 PM

Rob,
Sometimes calf cramping can be from lack of water, or lack of potassium. Try more water, a banana every day, and more stretching. If that doesn't work...
Sometimes, when that stuff gets chronic, it's a fixation or scar tissue build up between the gastroc and the soleous. Have you tried some good deep tissue work?
There is a really cool technique (Used only after working into the muscle slowly) you can "shear" the gastroc either laterally or medially, (or both) and break up that fixation. Ultrasound just following that will help any residual pain from this not so comfortable technique. The technique should not be attempted by someone who has not used it before.
I would suggest getting a referral to a sports massage therapist (or PT) and asking them if they are familiar with it. If you find one, and they would like me to describe what I mean over the phone, I would be willing to speak with them.
You could write me back if you like, and I'll send you my business line #, they could call me. I would be happy to speak with the person you find. If you can't find someone, let me know, maybe I can help you with that too. Where do you live?

Dr. Jen Milus, DC
Author of Fire it Up CPAT Training System
www.fireagility.com

Thanks for the response Dr. Jen. I live in Lake Elsinore (Riverside County); I've stopped working out for the past 2-3 days and have been trying the ice therapy you outlined for shin splints. It seems to be getting better, but I'm worried about constantly re-injuring it.

Wait.... shin splints are in front medial to the tibia. That is totally different than calf pain and spasm, which is in back. Shin splints responds to icing and tappinc. Calves will be better off with warmth (hot bath with jets) and stretching and or what I outlined for you above. Anterior compartment syndrome (front, outside of tibia) is totally different than the other 2.

Now I am concerned...Did I misunderstand? Let me know so I am sure we are on the same page. Doing the wrong thing will make it worse!!!

Dr. Jen Milus, DC
www.fireagility.com

No, you are correct. I just assumed (bad word) that the treatment would be the same. About half way up the lower portion of my leg on the back side (sorry, not medical terms), I can feel a tight "ball". It's actually just below the meaty portion of the calf this time, but at other times it has been the actual large calf muscle itself. It starts out as a tightness, but if I keep going and push it too hard, I will sometimes get a quick sharp pain, and then it feels like the muscle balls up. It's then difficult to walk without a limp for a day or two. Sometimes I will go for a period of 6 months to a year before it happens again. I'll try just heat on it then .... I was hoping it might be something other than me getting older. Thanks again Dr. Jen.

No, it is not necessarily you getting older... although I'm feelin' ya on that one! This could happen to anyone. Funny thing: I never needed to be any more than 25, but it still keeps happening! LOL... at least it's universal.
That sounds like it's lower gastroc/upper part of the achilles tendon where it separates into the soleous and gastroc. This could be the fixation between the 2 muscles that I was speaking of. Try some heat and some stretching.
I would also suggest getting a good deep tissue/sports massage therapist to work on that. I am sorry to say that I do not know anyone in your area. If you ask for a referral from friends, I'd be happy to speak to someone (whom I don't know) if they are not sure of how to break that up. Wait: are you close to Whittier? I know someone there, I think.
Here is my worry: if you don't get this GONE, it may come back to haunt you in terms of a complete tear of your achilles. These can be surgically repaired, but you'd likely never be the same again.
Let me know!

Dr. Jen Milus, DC
www.fireagility.com

Thanks again for all of the information Dr. Jen; if I didn't post here, I would still be treating it incorrectly with ice. I will start applying heat this evening and some stretching as you had indicated. I am not close to Whittier, but I have a friend who knows a good Therapist + I want to check my benefits with Kaiser to see if they can provide any help. Good thing I took the P.A.T. for Orange County 2 weeks ago before this started again.

Again, your input is much appreciated.

Rob,
if you get a list of providers that you might use (PT's, Chiropractors or massage therapists) through your Keiser plan... you can send it to me on my regular e-mail at drjmilus@gmail.com, or go through my web sight and attach the list... I could look at the list and see if I recognize any names... maybe I can pick one for you.
I am glad you asked too. FYI: I frequently tell people: If you are unsure, you may ice without asking me, but don't heat. BUT, the fact is, icing makes muscle spasm worse alot of times. And heat makes inflammation worse... so It was good you asked, and good I asked enough questions to know we had both misunderstood. I hope this has all helped. Write again if you need clarification, or more help. I'll do the best I can!
And, you are always welcome.
Dr. Jen Milus, DC
www.fireagility.com

Rob!
I forgot a possibility- need to make sure we cover all of our bases. I just remembered I can send you a private message, so I did...
Dr. Jen Milus, DC
www.fireagility.com
This message was edited by DrJen on 11-28-05 @ 9:43 PM

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh DrJn my fave Doc of the art and science of chiropactic.......how the heck are ya???? hEALING OK???? Hope so..... Hey a little question here about my knee....remember the injured one....seems like everytime I walk on it I get a little pain on the lateral side....not much, but it also seems as though the rear of that knee is swollen or something like that....just feels funny....I dunno....just asking
Grab that BRASS RING with all you have

Big Daddy Fire:
Read your private message...
Dr. Jen Milus, DC
www.fireagility.com